Location: Valley City, ND
The Vangstad Auditorium and Classroom Building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is an Early 20th Century Revival formerly designed for the Valley City State Normal School and built in 1907.
The 800-seat auditorium is embellished with ornate plaster adorning an illuminated dome, framing the proscenium arch, and encasing the face of the balcony. The plaster, along with the wood flooring and ceilings, was repaired. The 11,000 S.F. auditorium received new finishes including carpet, paint and refurbished seating. A new stage extension was constructed that more closely resembles the historic curved stage front, encloses and protects a cherished manual Moller Organ, and provides performing space for an orchestra. Lighting, power and safety upgrades were in the scope of work as well.
The lower two levels, comprising 14,000 S.F., were completely remodeled to provide modern facilities for the University’s Business Center and Learning Center, including faculty offices, study rooms and classroom space. While the building is equipped for today’s students and faculty, the redesign respects the character of the original building. Salvaged wood wainscot, decorative trim and crown moulding were reinstalled to compliment the historic nature of the building while also keeping the environment in mind by recycling materials.